• « Epic online shopping at Watsons
    January 6th 2019 , 2:10 pm
    Categories: Insights, Personal life, Rants, Technology, Work

Happy new year everyone! Sorry that I didn’t post any new year blog entry on New Year’s day. I think I am becoming really lazy in blogging, which is not really a good thing. :sad:

I started 2018 with an upcoming new job at one company and ended the year working hard at another company because of a merger event. Well, it has been a rollercoaster ride in 2018. What a ride, literally!

I have achieved quite a bit in 2018 as compared to previous years. Well, 3 main events happened in a span of a year:

• A second degree (Masters, whee!) while working full time and studying part time.
    • 2 jobs in a year? Well, it’s not exactly by choice but the turn of events ended up this way.
    • Finally passed my ABRSM Grade 8 violin after waiting for more than 1.5 years for my finger to recover

So what’s up for me in 2019? I am still waiting for my Sony A6500 and SEL1670Z to come back from the repairs. Well, another hole in my wallet since it has passed the warranty period.

I’m also waiting for Watsons to provide what kind of personal data they have collected from me over the years. I sent an email to their DPO twice and they ignored me on both instances. It’s sad but I guess I got no choice but to go through the formal complaint route to Personal Data Protection Commission (PDPC) just to get information on my personal data in Watsons’ systems.

What have I learnt from this incident? Don’t fall prey to cheap discounts and stuff. You might be paying for the “discounts” when your data gets leaked in the Deep and Dark Web (DDW) or in the surface web (WWW – basically out in the open for everyone to see). Especially so given the level of security awareness they have in some employees… I feel like facepalming every time I got reminded how they asked me for my password in plaintext on a social media platform. :sigh: Now I can only pray that they didn’t collect as much data as I hoped. Physical shopping and carrying heavy shopping bags for the win. No or minimal online shopping.

Nevertheless, I’m looking forward to an amazing 2019! I know it’s going to be amazing because I will make it amazing for myself. Hehe. :happy:

And, no new year resolutions since I know I won’t actually fulfil them.

Comments

Deanna
      8th January 2019, 10:17 pm

That sucks that your personal information may have been collected and/or shared online. On the plus side, carrying heavy shopping bags will get your body in shape haha. Happy New Year!

Michelle
      11th January 2019, 7:53 am

That totally is scary. I remember something like that happening to us but they hacked into our account and actually spent money. It was terrible but we were able to get the funds back. Happy Belated New Year

Claudine
      12th January 2019, 11:36 am

Haha, I’ve been feeling lazy about blogging too, but sometimes there’s just so much going on that it’s hard to sit down and write!

Congratulations on getting a Master’s degree! Extra props to you for completing it while also working full-time! :D

I read about your Watsons experience and it scares me that these online vendors and websites know so much about us and continue to collect more data about us as we use their sites! I hope you get a response from Watsons soon, it’s such a hassle to have to go through the formal complaint route!

Dasynka
      16th January 2019, 5:59 pm

Wow you did a lot this year, big congrats! Happy new year for this 2019, may be full of all your dreams :)
      Wow this place is so impressive, love it so much! Enjoy :)
      xx Dasynka

Sydney
      18th January 2019, 12:28 pm

That’s terrible your information may have been stolen and shared online. I’m becoming more and more paranoid these days about the information that I share online for that reason… it’s hard not to worry about what people might have access to.

I hope your 2019 is a lot better and you don’t have to deal with anything horrible!